Sunday, June 2, 2013

Introduction to Writer Standing Still

Most of my life has been spent accomplishing tasks. If I wasn't getting things done, I was wasting time. Fortunately, I've discovered something I hope will help those of us who are trying to improve our writing experiences. Allow me to explain.

Besides writing, I work in an emerging field where the path ahead isn't always clear, and making a difference often means trying something new. Sometimes experiments fail, and sometimes they succeed, but there's only one way to know which has happened. You must stop moving long enough to reflect on what you've done.

You must stand still.

In the past couple of years, my "work" life has begun to influence my writing life in unexpected ways. (Yes, writing is work, but I, like many writers, have another job that pays most of the bills. I'm one of the lucky ones because I love both lives.) Now I hope to use the work lessons in a purposeful manner.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I got out of the practice of writing daily. That practice over the course of 13 years had allowed me to produce something like 20 published novels, a number of novellas and short stories, and many other books that will never see publication. Suddenly, instead of writing daily, I was running in mental circles and not producing, and was feeling very guilty about it.

I've decided to stand still.

My idea for this blog is to reflect on things I've tried over the years, and lessons I've learned and continue to learn about writing and publishing. I invite other authors to join me, not to promote their latest works, but to reflect on things they've tried, and to share those lessons with the rest of us. My goal is to examine the nuggets I've picked up along the way and shoved in my pockets.

I don't promise that every post will be a brilliant piece of writing, or so insightful as to make readers gasp, but I will be as honest, open, and reflective as possible. Some posts may just be the scene running through my head that day. What can I say? I'm a storyteller at heart.

If you're a writer who has tried something different, or had an "ah-ha" experience you'd like to share, send me a note at sarah @ sarahstorme.com. I'd love to have guest bloggers!

Welcome to Writer Standing Still. The roses smell wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Nice idea and I'm sure some rare little gems will surface as we all have had similar experiences. Yay you!
    jeanne

    ReplyDelete