Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Few of the Basics

When I started writing fiction, I had no idea what I was doing. I wrote my first novel, then wandered around in the dark for months, submitting my manuscript to publishers and gathering rejections. I still remember my amazement when I joined a local writers' group and learned--in the first meeting--of 4 major things I was doing incorrectly. That was in 1998. Some of those lessons are still valid; others are outdated.

In order to kick off the reflection process, I thought I'd start with a few initial thoughts. These are things I share when asked for advice by new writers.
  • Writing is an amazing thing. Completing a novel is something most people haven't done. However, it's normal to fall in love with your first work and be unable to see the flaws. Seek the help of professionals: a good critique group or experienced editor. (I didn't use to recommend paying editors, but with the explosion of self-published books, I've changed my mind.  However, I've seen books "edited" by paid editors that may as well have not been, so be warned.  Ask questions, look for experience in the publishing industry, talk to other writers.) Your best bet is to put your first manuscript away, write a second and  maybe a third, then go back and review the first one.
  • Experienced storytellers aren't necessarily great writers, and trained writers aren't always great storytellers.  Fortunately, you can improve both abilities. Assume you know nothing and learn from everyone, but trust your instincts. (This sounds like a contradiction, but it isn't.  If you read a lot, you'll know when something is "on."  If you don't read...well, you must read in order to write.)
  • Did I mention you must read?  Read in your genre, but don't stop there.  If you're writing contemporary romance and read nothing else, what you write will sound like what's already been done.  Editors really are looking for "fresh" voices, so expand your reach.
  • Join writers' groups and participate.  I've always been inspired by time spent with other writers talking about writing.
  • The writing world is much smaller than it looks.  Don't burn bridges.  If you can't say something nice about someone...well, you know the rest.
  • Yes, most of us hear voices in our heads and have little to no control over them.  Relax and enjoy!
OK, enough for today.  These things may sound obvious to those who have been at it for a while, but we were all beginners at some point.  Anyone else out there with wisdom nuggets for those just starting?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely join a writers' group or enroll in a writing course. The very first article I queried to a magazine got published because I had completed a course by The Institute of Children's Literature. And the skill and insight I have gained from joining a writer's group in the last couple of years has improved my current manuscript exponentially. The story and characters are 20 times better than the previous iterations, and I am so grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete